10 text message statistics that may surprise youTopic: SMS Marketing
24 March 2023
As the pace of life accelerates, the quick, direct nature of texting appeals to most of us more than telephone calls, emails or the traditional letter – all of which can be ignored, lost in spam folders or are just too slow.
In comparison, text messages let you say exactly what you need to communicate concisely and are delivered directly and instantly to the person you want to reach. In addition, the two-way conversational nature of text messages is perfect for back-and-forth communication – perfect for building and sustaining positive relationships with customers.
Here are some text messaging statistics we’ve put together to show just how fabulous the humble SMS really is, and why it’s a high-value communication tool that businesses simply can’t afford to ignore.
- More consumers than ever (91%) are interested in signing up for text message marketing.
- 20-35% on average click-through rate for text messages.
- 71% of consumers, on average, have used their phones for shopping.
- 76% of consumers who have signed up for text messages from a brand say they’ve done so because it’s easier to get deals and learn about new products this way.
- On average, people check their phone 58 times a day.
- Text messages have an open rate of up to 98%.
- 7.26 billion people globally (91%) own a mobile phone.
- 7.49 billion are expected to own a mobile phone by 2025.
- 95% of texts will be read in less than 3 minutes after being sent.
- More than 90% of customers expect a response within a day when they contact a business (text messages are perfect for this type of back-and-forth communication).
Why you need to include messaging in your marketing strategy
Text message marketing is so effective because we’re hardly ever without our phones. Globally, today’s consumers are more addicted to their mobile phones than ever. Recent research found that 74% of those asked ‘felt uneasy’ about going out without their phone, and 53% never go more than 24 hours without it.
What does that mean for businesses? It means your customers will most likely be found on their phones. So, that’s the first key reason for using messaging. Here are a few more reasons why:
- Simplicity – text messages get straight to the point and allow customers to quickly take action (e.g. click on a clear call-to-action).
- Interaction – text messages can allow customers to respond, so building relationships feel more natural and engagement is typically higher.
- Convenience – 91% of the world owns a mobile phone, so reaching customers where they already are is both convenient for you and your customer.
- Effective – SMS open rates are as high as 98% and 90% of texts are read within 90 seconds of delivery. So sending marketing messages via SMS is both targeted and effective.
Quick, simple and to the point, text messages are the perfect way to communicate in today’s busy world. For businesses who want to reach their customers effectively and directly, it’s simply a must-use channel. Read more about why SMS marketing works for today’s consumers here.
How you can use text message marketing to boost your business
Now you’ve seen the numbers, you can see just how valuable a text message marketing strategy could be for your business and your customers. But how exactly can you use SMS?
Here are a few popular examples:
- Welcome offers
- Personalised recommendations
- Product updates
Text message marketing: Loved by businesses and customers alike
Consumers appreciate being able to contact businesses and receive personalised responses in real time. This expectation, combined with the convenience and conversational style offered by messaging, has led to it becoming the most effective communication channel for brands and businesses worldwide in the last decade or so.
To learn more about text message marketing, from best practices to how to use it to maximise marketing ROI, download our guide below. We cover the essentials of SMS marketing so you can get started today.